Wine Talk

Snooth User: hirohamata

1200 years old wine yeast to sell !

Posted by hirohamata, May 2, 2016.

I have some wine yeast which is about 1200 years old to sell.

If anybody interest, please contact me..

hirohamata35@gmail.com

1 2 next

Replies

Reply by dmcker, May 2, 2016.

More details, please!

Oh, and 'sale' is a noun not a verb, so you want to say 'for sale' or 'to sell'.

Cheers

Reply by dvogler, May 2, 2016.

That sounds like  quite a claim.  Can you verify the birthdate?

Reply by GregT, May 2, 2016.

It's obviously an ancient strain. I'd like a few ounces.

Reply by dmcker, May 3, 2016.

Business envelope or baggie?

Reply by hirohamata, May 3, 2016.

First of all, sory for my grammer..

I found  them in very very old wells, i just take small piece for test, rest (nearly 300 kg) still in wells..

We send to Italy and France for test, they said it is nearly 1200 years old.
Serious buyers can get small sample for testing.

Still interested in more explanation. Keep the info flowing, please.

Just as one example, are there vineyards in the vicinity of these wells?

DMCKER i send you private message

Feel free to post the info here, Hirohamata. More eyes will see it.

We found 3 wells for now, but we think there are more then 3 around.

Their depth nearly 3 meters for each and they are like a cruse in underground.

Yes, people says this area has Vineyards at the past. And there are stones on the ground around wells. We think they were walls of some buildings (churchs or wine houses)

The sample that we take is black, like a stone or bitumen.. Rest of it still in wells.

https://www.anony.ws/image/JxTq

https://www.anony.ws/image/JxT4

I will send also the wells and around photos next a few days..

Reply by GregT, May 3, 2016.

Hirohamata - don't worry about the grammar. It's unusual for people to post like you did and then come back, so thank you for following up.

But the question is, how do you know how old that yeast is?

In fact there is yeast and bacteria all around us. Some of them are useful, some not so much. The yeasts that help us make bread and beer and wine and such things are of course, nice to have. Do you know if you have a yeast that can be used in any fermentation?

Hi GREGT,

Actually, i am not %100 sure how old it is.. As i write before, somebody took a small piece, and send it to France and Italy for analysis..

Because of most people ask me, how do i know it is age, i decided to send a sample to university in Turkey for analysis on my own. I already contact with a Proffessor which is president at Departmant of Moleculer Biology and Genetics in University

I am not expert for this or wines..
I have no idea how to use this yeast..

But you can be sure that, when i got the result from university, i will share it here.. 

Reply by dmcker, May 4, 2016.

Thanks for following up with more info, Hirohamata.

Would be very interested in hearing the results from your Turkish university connection. Would want to know about the makeup of the black clumps (yeast obviously better than Stachybotrys chartarum black mold), and perhaps the professor might even be able to use some carbon dating or other technique to get at the age.

Once the yeast is clarified, its potential uses will follow.

Reply by Richard Foxall, May 4, 2016.

I've got some fungus on my feet that is even older, and traces its roots back to the feet of Cistercian monks,  It is undoubtedly the secret behind the greatest Burgundies of history. 

Did I miss something?  Where (within a major province of a recognized geographic area, like Lombardy or Burgundy or some prefecture in Japan) are these wells?  You say you are in Turkey, but what kind of project is going on? Not really sure that this makes any sense--if there's value to the yeast, wouldn't you be talking to one of these labs about purifying and commercializing it, not selling chunks of icky black goop? 

I'm pretty sure that customs won't let you bring live yeast into the US without a quarantine period.  Don't have time to look it up, but found a few links among beer makers who want specific German strains that plainly pose less threat than this gunk.

Anyway, go drink this and report back.  Oh, wait, this isn't one of those, I found an old bottle of wine posts, it's a post about finding old yeast. 

Reply by dmcker, May 4, 2016.

Anatolia, Fox, thus the age. The need for tests and refining before any idea of shipping overseas (need a verifiable, functional product even before dealing with customs, etc.) has been mentioned to him.

But you gotta admit, this is not your typical query on these boards, both in terms of content, and the fact that Hirohamata keeps responding with new info.

Reply by Richard Foxall, May 4, 2016.

Right, I get that, Asia Minor somewhere.  But is this part of some antiquity/achaeo dig?  "Cause then there's a whole bunch of other issues. 

Fascinating, for sure.  And since there's not a big market for counterfeited ancient yeasts, probably real if a little odd.  Still, I'm not taking delivery any time soon. 

Reply by hirohamata, May 5, 2016.

Hi, again..

I still wating analysis result.
The area is 10 km close to Priene,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priene

Reply by dmcker, May 5, 2016.

"But is this part of some antiquity/achaeo dig?  "Cause then there's a whole bunch of other issues."

Get where you're coming from, since I've been involved in digs on 3 continents before, but my understanding is it's just a couple of budding entrepreneurs climbing down some old unused wells and seeing what they can scrape up.

Reply by Richard Foxall, May 5, 2016.

it's just a couple of budding entrepreneurs climbing down some old unused wells and seeing what they can scrape up

Literally.  Problem is, those ancient sites (even something "only" 1200 years old) are part of the country's patrimony, a very hot topic these days.  Not sure "entrepreneurs" are the right ones to be digging in some old site.  Imagine that someone dug around in the area between say, the Cote d'Or and Cote Roannaise and found relics like these.  Pretty sure the French government would have something to say about that, especially if they found evidence of an old abbey or settlement.  I don't think the current Turkish government much cares about the winemaking heritage of the area, but they are pretty good at being aggrieved with just about anybody these days.  (That lack of tact just cost me a job with the state department, I'm sure.) 

Of course, some people don't mind doing time in a Turkish prison.
Reply by JonDerry, May 6, 2016.

At least a few of us are interested in seeing where it goes. As mentioned, very rare to have an OP return here more than once. And it's not, how much is this old bottle of wine worth? type stuff.

1 2 next

Continue to the end of the thread to reply
Back to Categories

Popular Topics

Top Contributors This Month

259386 Snooth User: zufrieden
259386zufrieden
39 posts
1413489 Snooth User: dvogler
1413489dvogler
26 posts
357808 Snooth User: vin0vin0