Wine Talk

Snooth User: JonDerry

2014 Bordeaux

Posted by JonDerry, Jan 27, 2017.

Quite the sea change in Bordeaux as prices seem a bit more affordable these days (as opposed to the 2009 bull rush just 5-6 years ago), and it appears they have a vintage that strikes the right balance between cool and warm. Not a too hot or too cold year that is, probably the first one like it since 2008.

Eyeing Grand Puy Lacoste at $53/each, Ducru around $100, a little less for Pontet Canet.

Keep in mind the US stock market has appreciated about 10-15% over the past couple months. 

Replies

Reply by rckr1951, Jan 27, 2017.

Am looking at some futures also.  Some real good wines there. Some standbys I'm locking up his week: Labegorce, Lalande Borie, Chateau Cantemerle, Ormes de Pez.  By the end of the month: Giscours, Langoa-Barton, Branaire-Drucu, Talbot, Leoville-Barton among others. 

Reply by GregT, Jan 27, 2017.

Just came back from the Union des Grands Crus tasting, which included most of those mentioned above. I'd pass on the Langoa-Barton, which had pretty big fruit but it was all hidden by wood, Branaire-Ducru also had big fruit but smelled like old furniture. Those were a little weird.

Talbot was pretty good, still had some of the characteristic funk but the surprise for me was Gruaud-Larose. It's really become a different wine. I talked to them about it and they said the big changes came since 2008. They replanted a lot of the vines and their style today is less old-school and bretty than it used to be. It's now more Napa-like, with clean fruit.

Overall I kind of liked Pauillac. Some of the other wines were a little hollow, some just not impressive. Cantemerle wasn't too impressive. It can be good in some years, like 1996 and 2000, but I think you can get better value from CA.

And BTW, it's Berserker Day today if you're interested.

Reply by JonDerry, Jan 27, 2017.

Thanks for the report Greg...I would've liked to have attended the Los Angeles UGC last night but couldn't quite swing it this year.

Reply by rckr1951, Jan 27, 2017.

I'll second that thank you...I've wondered for if Talbot was ever going to get the funk out, but it's always there and for some reason I've gotten used to it.  The Langoa - well this is the 1st time some who's opinion I respect has tried it 1st  - so I'll take your advise.  Thanks again - Paul

Reply by JonDerry, Jan 27, 2017.

I remember this guy who brought an '82 Talbot to a tasting at our cellar club a few years back...he seemed like an ex military type. When we opened the wine and smelled it (smelled glorious to me), he made a joke about it smelling like a butt hole or something of that nature...then mock apologized as there happened to be a lady among us. Anyhow, memorable wine. For me, Bordeaux is all about the nose for the most part. Unless it's a 2000 Margaux, then that's different ; )

Reply by amour, Jan 28, 2017.

GREGT, thanks for that valuable post!

Where will SNOOTH be without you?!

I found the Gruaud-Larose explanation interesting.......the BRETT that so many of us cannot tolerate in any way, just has to go away! I look forward to drinking it.......will be checking with SOKOLIN in the morning...

Chateau Langoa-Barton...the third growth property, belonged to the English Barton family ....long established growers and merchants in Bordeaux . I remember, as a child, Ronald Barton, in the mid-1960's, as owner at Chateau Langoa! Everyone said that G-L was such lovely claret!

I love Chateau Beychevelle...from way back....for its balance and  finesse......may I add that in poor years it was not at all good...much too sharp....enough history here.....CHEERS!

Reply by amour, Jan 28, 2017.

Just ordered through SOKOLIN...2010 Gruaud-Larose......in reading the description, I saw mention of the ABSENCE OF THE BRETT!!!

LOOKING into futures...

Reply by amour, Feb 1, 2017.

Other LOVERS OF SAUTERNES like me will be pleased to learn that by all reports from tastings.....2014 SAUTERNES is EXCEPTIONAL!

YEAHHH!!!!

The hot temperatures of late October played a most critical role (as could have been expected then).

THAT HOT WEATHER DEVELOPED THE GOOD OLD NOBLE ROT!
Highly rated were:

La Tour Blanche

Doisy-Vedrines

AND TO MY GREAT DELIGHT ONE THAT I ALWAYS PRAISE HERE ON SNOOTH FOR YEARS....my darling LAFAURIE-PEYRAGUEY!!!!!!!

Got to have it!

Chateau Guiraud and Suduiraut  2014 are being very very very highly praised....they will drink well for 25-40 years.....

My information can be trusted, DMCKER!!!!

Reply by JonDerry, Feb 1, 2017.

I have a couple 2010 Gruaud'S resting in the cellar. A very nice wine, tasted on premier and another from my stash. While opened too young, it was still very enjoyable.

Reply by amour, Feb 1, 2017.

JONDERRY....you have gems!!!   Well, as we know, JONDERRY....part of the great fun with our wines, is watching a wine change the balance of its components, in the passage of time.....

THAT IS REALLY GETTING INTO THE THING.........CHEERS!!

Thanks for your stimulating posts, JONDERRY!

We must encourage MUCH MORE ACTIVE PARTICIPATION.......everyone can make 'SOME KIND OF CONTRIBUTION"

This is not a judgmental forum, nor should it ever be.....CHEERS!  Sip Sip....

Reply by GregT, Feb 2, 2017.

Hadn't read about the absence of brett in G-L but whoever wrote that was correct. I knew that they'd engaged Rolland a few years ago and his influence is definitely showing, whether or not he's still consulting with them. The change in wine making, in addition to re-planting several plots and changing the vinification schedule, has resulted in big changes in the wine from what it was back in the 1990s. I haven't really tried it for a few years so was a bit surprised.

Tasted a bunch of the Sauternes too.

I like Sauternes as a rule, but some more than others. But I think that in the best years, when it's damp and gloomy and the red wines are not too good, Sauternes/Barsac usually makes their finest wines. I missed the botrytized aromas and flavors. Haut-Peyraguey had a lot of mushroom/botrytis on the nose, and I liked that. Lafaurie-Peyraguey was as always, one of the lightest of all and it didn't have that quality. I think the barrel regimen is quite different too, because I picked up a lot of wood on the L-P. That usually integrates over time.

Doisy-Vedrines was sweet and woody with a slightly bitter finish, which isn't uncommon, and Doisy-Daëne was very similar, with a very honeyed nose but also lacking the botrytis and mushroom notes. De Fargues I just didn't like as it seemed gluey and weird. Coutet was extremely sweet and had very clear flavors of pineapple, almost as if someone had somehow liquified a candied pineapple. Suidiraut, usually one of the best, was thick and unctuous and sweet like honey but somehow didn't have sufficient balancing acidity.

Giraud, as always, was both the most distinctive and my favorite. It's also the one that has by far the highest percentage of Sauvignon Blanc, at 60% this year, while most of the others don't have more than 30% or so, and many have none at all. I always wondered why the rest didn't increase the percentage but I guess I'm in the minority because people like Ian D'Agata, who writes for Decanter and some other publications, had this to say:

D’Agata said, ‘There’s two or three estates that made lighter wines that are more Sauvignon marked than in the past and that’s a shame, because the greatness of Sauternes is undoubtedly Semillon and if you decrease it, you get a lemony wine that is fresh but ends up losing the rich, deep nature of the great, sweet wines of Bordeaux.’

He also said the vintage was marked by very high acidity.

Maybe, I didn't do any tests, but it was the third hottest September on record. Interesting that for some reason he thinks late-season heat increases acidity when it comes to Sauternes? Everywhere else it causes dehydration and pushes sugar levels up.

In any event, I think he's dead wrong on both counts. OTOH, what the hell do I know.

Reply by JonDerry, Feb 2, 2017.

D'Agata has said some things (Ruche and Soy Sauce, that Montesetfano is a cool site?) that has gotten me into a little trouble when I repeated it here and on other boards. 

Reply by amour, Feb 2, 2017.

I was about to go to bed...wine glass in hand...SAUTERNES....2007 Rieussec, so I turned off Snooth!!!!
I got up to brush my teeth!!!!!

I checked Snooth forum...and a nice piece from GREGT appeared.......omg...where will we be without you???.....THANKS A MILLION!

RE: G-L.....I ordered some from SOKOLIN/NY.....and the note next to it said....NO LONGER A BRETTY WINE!!!!!!!!

Will comment further tomorrow...CHEERS, GREGT!

Reply by GregT, Feb 2, 2017.

Cheers back at you.

Oh and d'Agata made those comments in regards to the 2014 Sauternes. I'm starting to think he's "differently clued" to put it nicely.

They did have botrytis, particularly in October after getting some rain, but overall the wines didn't show a lot of that. Some people much prefer them "cleaner" and if that's his preference, then I'm OK with that. OTOH I kind of like the complexity that botrytis adds.

Doesn't matter though, the vintage is pretty good and the wines were pretty much true to form and if someone poured them for me I'd drink happily.

Back to Categories

Popular Topics

Top Contributors This Month

259386 Snooth User: zufrieden
259386zufrieden
20 posts
1413489 Snooth User: dvogler
1413489dvogler
17 posts
357808 Snooth User: vin0vin0
357808vin0vin0
8 posts