Wine Talk

Snooth User: Stephen Harvey

5 wines to try before you die

Posted by Stephen Harvey, May 30, 2017.

We all covet certain superstar wines but budget restrictions mean we have not got there yet

What are the 5 wines you would like to drink before you die that you have not already had

Please include Vintage

Mine

1996 Krug Clos Du Mesnil

1990 DRC Romanee Conti

1959 Chateau Mouton [Birth Year]

1847 Chateau d'Yquem

1982 Petrus

Replies

Reply by dmcker, May 30, 2017.

Until quite recently I still had some bottles of '59 Latour and La Mission, Stephen. Too bad we never discussed this back at the turn of the decade. Personally, I liked them both better than the Mouton for that year. Had some '61 Mouton and Haut Brion in that section, too, but got rid of them earlier. The last '59 was a La Mission (possibly the single best wine I've ever had, though that kind of statement is always difficult), gifted to an acquaintance in Russia since it was his birth year, too.

I'll be happy to share any on your list.  ;-)   Never have put together my top 5 or top 10 since I'm generally omnivorous. Will have to do some thinking on the subject....

Reply by rckr1951, May 30, 2017.

The only one I've been lucky enough to have enjoyed was the '82 Petrus in the early 90's - a gift for our successful move to Wisconsin.  I really don't think the giver knew what he was doing, but he'd been out to Stag's Leap Wine Cellars with me and we went on the Silverado Trail together for a long weekend.

So I didn't say anything until we poured it and drank it together.  Wasn't paying to much attention to aging back them.....

Reply by JonDerry, May 30, 2017.

Definitely have some to add. Here are the first dozen or so off the top of my head.

DRC La Tache - 2010, 2013, lots to choose from. Was lucky to have a taste of the 2000.

1989 Haut Brion

1961 Latour

1978 Chave Hermitage

1990 Beaucastel Hommage Jacque Perrin

Faiveley Musigny - Not sure what year is best. 

Roumier Amoureuses, Bonne Mares - 1999 or 2012 let's say. Or the Musigny for that matter!

2012 Comte Liger Belair - Vosne 1er Aux Reignots - Lucky to have this at La Paulee a few years back.

2000 Margaux - Also had a couple years back. I hear 1983 can be great at times, 2005, yes, but not sure what years are most legendary.

2013 Macdonald Cabernet Sauvignon - Sounds funny to say but not sure how Napa Cabernet gets much better. Was very fortunate to get a taste of this the other night.

2011 Benjamin Leroux Batard Montrachet - This was a stunner had over the weekend. Gotta love a good Batard!

Reply by Stephen Harvey, May 31, 2017.

D - I think we had the discussion on Mouton 59 some years ago and I think you pointed me to the 59 Haut Brion as an alternative which I have put on my extended list if one comes up at the same time i have excess cash and approval to spend

However 2019 will be my 60th so I have been granted some discretion to buy a birth year wine - given one of my best wine drinking buddies is also a 59er we have both agreed to find and drink one from our birth year

Reply by dmcker, May 31, 2017.

Stephen, Latour and La Mission beat the pants off Haut Brion for '59 (and '61) IMHO. Haut Brion was going through a sad patch back then. They were very up and down for a long while. The Dillons changed things, though when they later also bought La Mission I was worried they'd somehow dumb it down to enhance Haut Brion's prestige back to where they wanted it. La Mission was for a long time a dark horse that won about every tasting race it entered in my experience. Unfortunately the Dillon ownership also ensured it got more PR and thus market exposure and prices have risen far above their old levels. Haut Brion was always high, while La Mission had been overperforming in the shadows at a much more reasonable price level. Not any more.

Sooner is better than later for birth year wines! I gifted a '53 Burgundy to a close friend in the restaurant industry last year. Its mates had been fine just two or three years previously but it was unfortunately over the hill....

Must have been the Latour I was thinking of

Stephen, your original post at top of this thread brings up a number of interesting subjects and groupings.

1. Your 1947 (oops, wrong century--see you're talking 100 years earlier) d'Yquem reminds me that I've always wanted to do a 1945/47 grouping of horizontals both for Bordeaux and Burgundy. Hopefully haven't missed the boat completely for all Burgs, but I'm told Bordeaux's hanging tough. '47 Cheval Blanc is famous but there are several others I'd like to throw in the mix, not limited to the '47 LaFleur and the '45 Mouton.
  2. We've already started talking about the '59/'61 bracketing in Bordeaux. Would want to add a '61 Petrus, and also extend to a '61 Jaboulet La Chapelle way over in the northern Rhone. Have only had one, and that was in the '80s. Would love to revisit it.
  3. You mention the '90 La Romanee Conti and JD mentions the Beaucastel from that year. Burg and Rhone (both south and north with plenty of Chave in the mix) horizontals also fun for that vintage. Also particular '91s (see photo below). I've had the '89 and '90 Beaucastels a few times. I'm always open for any DRC tastings, both your La Romanee and JD's La Tache. Used to be a lot easier to do them, though--recently saw a Methuselah of '90 La Tache going for something like $50k at Sotheby's. Would be interesting to be able to raise the paddle on that without too many cares.
  4. Lots of Krug/Salon/Winston Churchill and other champers verticals I still want to do, the ageder the better.
  5. '82 is my elder daughter's birth year. Did all the first growths in the past, also Right Bankers like Petrus, Cheval Blanc and several more. Those are unfortunately now all gone, and I wish I'd bought a lot more back when the buying was good. Always open for horizontals for that year, and not only from Bordeaux, though would certainly want the Latour included if at all possible. Anything good from Spain and Italy, I wonder?
  6. And for JD, would want to throw in a '99 Vogue Musigny Vielle Vignes. Had one last decade, and really want to revisit. Then there's a *proper* vertical of the 1990s with both red and white from all the right houses including the likes of Rousseau, DRC, Leroy, Dujac, Jayer, Roumier, Leflaive, Coche-Dury and Ramonet.
  7. While we're on wild cards wouldn't mind some old Biondi Santi Brunellos extending back to the '50s or even earlier. And how about a proper, aged vertical of Massetos? Hell, haven't even scratched the surface with Italy, and I'm salivating when thinking about the more serious offerings of Piemonte, Toscana and Veneto. And how about a vertical of Klein Constantia down in S.A.? And Port and Madeira? And....  ;-)
  8. Then there're the '70s reds from Napa, and then batches of '80s and '90s from Napa and Sonoma and even Monterey.
  9. What are the dream wines from Oz?

Tucked away, just waiting for us, in the Cheval Blanc cellars:

And here're some '90 Burgs and '91 northern Rhones that excite me just a bit...

D

The d'Yquem is actually the legendary 1847 last sale was EUR75,000 by a KL Restranteur [i think] and he displays it in a glass cabinet at the Restaurant.  However a 45/47 Bordeaux would be exciting

Unfortunately my journey to the land of drinking top French wines came at a time they began to hit the $ highs they are now 

I do love champagne and we did a quartet of 96's for my wifes 50th Salon, Krug, Dom Perignon and Roederer Cristal

My Burgundy experience is still very limited with best to date being 99 and 02 Armand Rousseau Gevrey Chambertin Clos St Jacques - they did wet my appetite for more

I am very much a rookie on Italian and Spanish

Best do far

04,07 Antinori Tignanello

06 Gaja Barbaresco

04/10 Roda 1

Wonder if GregT will be able to weigh in here with help on Spanish dreams? Not to mention Tokaji...

Stephen, your Aussie dream list? Anything Kiwi worth mentioning?

Aussie List

1962 Penfolds Bin 60A Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon Barossa Shiraz

2002 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling

1990 Penfolds Grange Shiraz

1999 Cullen Diana Madelaine Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot

2006 Giaconda Chardonnay

NZ

Don't have a dream list

Reply by JonDerry, Jun 1, 2017.

Vega Sicilia's Unico I've been fortunate enough to try twice, though one was at maturity, with GregT no less, the 1971. The other over last weekend, a 2000 that was still primary.

Szepsy is the one for Tokai, yet another I had the good fortune to taste along with GregT, which we owed to my friend from the Netherlands. He insisted on serving it at room temp and it really worked.

Above I may gotten carried away with wines I've already tasted. 

Monfortino should've been included! 1999, 2001, 2004, and 2010 will be on my list no doubt.

Reply by GregT, Jun 1, 2017.

That I would like to try before I die that I have not already had?

There are plenty of wines I haven't had that I'd like to have, but there are some that I've had and missed and would like to taste again.

Many many years ago I met a wine collector for the first time. I'd heard of such people, but never actually met one. He insisted on showing us various wines that he loved and they completely went past me. I'd like to try some of them now that I can appreciate them. Some were American, others European. He was Japanese and liked whites, so that's often what he poured. Can't remember the names of any of them except one - Wheeler, and I have no idea if that's the Wheeler in Sonoma or not.

As far as Spain and Italy and Hungary, I'd love to have had some of the ancient Tokaji-aszu wines before communism. I never had really old vintages of Unico, although I've had Rioja wines going back many decades, and I never had the 1982 or 1989 Haut Brion or Petrus.

Reply by Stephen Harvey, Jun 2, 2017.

Greg

I think you should "bite the bullet" and give us a couple of names

Reply by JonDerry, Jun 2, 2017.

More whites to throw in for me, though unsure of vintages...and I agree with Greg's Tokaji idea, to get something from the good old days.

Haut Brion Blanc

2001 d'Yquem

Raveneau Clos

didier dagueneau - Not sure of what year and what wine, whatever's best.

Reply by Stephen Harvey, Jun 3, 2017.

JD

2001 d"Yquem is truly stunning but needs many many more years

Back to Categories

Popular Topics

Top Contributors This Month

259386 Snooth User: zufrieden
259386zufrieden
39 posts
1413489 Snooth User: dvogler
1413489dvogler
26 posts